Quickly wrap text around images for nice looking Photoshop page layouts.
This is the quick version for how to wrap text around images in Photoshop for nice looking page layouts. If you are building a website the method for wrapping text is different and there are a couple of approaches I explain in HTML to wrap text using tables and the preferred method that uses CSS float. Check out these tutorials if you ever need a quick reference when building your website.
Whether you are creating a magazine layout or a design for other types of projects, following a shaped contour of an image creates a really nice layout. Whatever the shape, whether curved or squared, text can be wrapped easily using the pen tool to create your text region as an outline. Here I am giving you really short and sweet visual instructions below in a step-by-step format.
Wrap Text Around the Contours of a Curved Shape Image
1. With your image open in Photoshop select the Pen Tool from the tools palette.
2. With the Pen Tool begin creating your text box by clicking to create anchor points on the outside of your image to follow the contoured shape, but also to leave a nice margin.
3. Continue until you completely enclose your box. This will be your text box.
4. Choose the Text Tool from the tools palette.
5. Move your cursor into the text area and begin typing or copy/paste your text.
6. Once your text is in place you can inspect it and make necessary adjustments explained in step 6.
7. If your text needs adjustment, there are some things you should know. You can adjust your text area size (the outline) by using the Direct Selection Tool by clicking and dragging any of the guides to expand or contract the text box. This can greatly change how the text inside the box behaves. I use it a lot for adjustments. You can also use the Path Selection Tool to move the entire block if necessary, but this will not affect the text inside.
8. Another useful and often overlooked feature is the Character and especially the Paragraph tab. These tools are indispensable for adjusting text formatting. You can access the Paragraph tab from Photoshop’s top menu by choosing Window > Paragraph. This feature allows you to REMOVE HYPHENS by unchecking Hyphenate text. Here you can also align text, indent text, or add space before the paragraph.